Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Review: Of Beast and Beauty by Stacey Jay


Description: In the beginning was the darkness, and in the darkness was a girl, and in the girl was a secret…

In the domed city of Yuan, the blind Princess Isra, a Smooth Skin, is raised to be a human sacrifice whose death will ensure her city’s vitality. In the desert outside Yuan, Gem, a mutant beast, fights to save his people, the Monstrous, from starvation. Neither dreams that together, they could return balance to both their worlds.

Isra wants to help the city’s Banished people, second-class citizens despised for possessing Monstrous traits. But after she enlists the aid of her prisoner, Gem, who has been captured while trying to steal Yuan’s enchanted roses, she begins to care for him, and to question everything she has been brought up to believe.

As secrets are revealed and Isra’s sight, which vanished during her childhood, returned, Isra will have to choose between duty to her people and the beast she has come to love.

My Review:

I won an ARC copy from randombuzzers.com

(A little Spoilers)

This is my first time reading from this author and I LOVE Stacey Jay writing in this. I love the way it is written. I Loved the plot. I loved the Characters and different POV’s. I loved reading Gem’s POV more than Isra. Sometimes she annoyed me but I still love her. She wants to change her City and help the Banished people. She realizes that the real monsters is her and the people in the dome. I wanted her to speak up for herself, in a part when she was talking to Junjie he just treated her like a child still even if she is the Queen. She didn’t even try to defend herself and make him listen to her because he should follow her orders. I hated that part. And when she let’s everyone talk behind her back. She always talked about how no one listens to her, but she doesn’t make them listen to her. I was so happy when she said “I’ll make them listen” Then she got her sight back. Bo, he confused me, he wants to be a great king and make his father proud. He don’t care for Isra but he doesn’t want her to die because that would mean his future children would die too. He said he wants to be king, but doesn’t. I felt sorry for him, because of his father. His father manipulated him like he did with eveyone else. Junjie wanted whats best for Yuan but he didn’t listen and did many things wrong. I loved Gem, he tries to be Cruel but he’s not like that. I love that in a guy, a guy who acts cold but they really care. Sometimes I wanted Gem and Isra to say what they was thinking, to stop lying and tell the truth. I loved there arguements and when they first kissed. I don’t want to say much but I LOVE IT!! (sorry if I rambled)

5 out of 5 Stars
Read: August. 8 - August. 10 11:31pm

(Side Note) I really read this whole book in one day. I started on the 8th at 11pm till the morning of the 9th. I stopped at chapter 10 or 11. Went to sleep. I didn’t read for that whole day because of stupid reasons. Then today, the 10th at around 12am I read and the when I woke up at 4 or 5pm I started reading until I finshed at around 11pm. I ignored my dog and I didn’t even care about eating. This is the first book where I really would not stop reading until I finished it. My heart is pounding.

No comments:

Post a Comment