Friday, May 30, 2014

Review: OCD, The DUDE, and ME by Lauren Roedy Vaughn

Author: Lauren Roedy Vaughn
Genre: Contemporary, Realistic Fiction, Humor
Format: Hardcover
Pages: 240
Publisher: Dial
Published: March. 21, 2013
Source: Library

Description: With frizzy orange hair, a plus-sized body, sarcastic demeanor, and "unique learning profile," Danielle Levine doesn't fit in even at her alternative high school. While navigating her doomed social life, she writes scathing, self-aware, and sometimes downright raunchy essays for English class. As a result of her unfiltered writing style, she is forced to see the school psychologist and enroll in a "social skills" class. But when she meets Daniel, another social misfit who is obsessed with the cult classic film The Big Lebowski, Danielle's resolve to keep everyone at arm's length starts to crumble.

My Review: A must read. This book is written in essay, email, journal form. Its funny and a little sad. Danille is always putting herself down and think she doesn't deserves to be loved. Towards the end you will see she went through something tragic that made her the way she is now. 

Likes: 

  • The Characters are likable and funny.
  • Danielle likes to read and dress up as characters
  • It took me awhile to get used to the way its written, but now I can't imagine it any other way.
  • Daniel was a funny character, I wasn't expecting him to be what he is (sorry I don't want to say it and spoil it) It never crossed my mind until he said it. 
Dislike:
  • Danielle crush was a jerk.
Quotes I like:
  • "The world is not respectable; it is mortal, tormented, confused, deluded forever; but it is shot through with beauty, with love, with glints of courage and laughter; and in these, the spirit blooms..." -George Santayana
  • According to her "libraries have shelves." I told her shelves are not included in the technical definition of "library" (pg. 3)
  • ...to lose myself in a fantasy, where I convince myself that someday I will be somewhere other than right here. (pg. 9)
  • They want me to socialize, not have my head in a book the entire time. (pg. 15)
  • But unlike life, which is why it's great to read books, everything works out for the two of them in the end. (Danielle was talking about Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth Bennet. pg. 19)
  • There is no barrier strong enough to protect you from life. It finds you. Friends come even if you are not looking for them. Loss finds you even if you aren't ready. (pg. 199)
4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment