Title: Two Boys Kissing
Author: David Levithan
Genre: glbt, romance, contemporary, realistic fiction
Publisher: Knopf Books for Young Readers
Published: August. 27, 2013
Description: New York Times bestselling author David Levithan tells the based-on-true-events story of Harry and Craig, two 17-year-olds who are about to take part in a 32-hour marathon of kissing to set a new Guinness World Record—all of which is narrated by a Greek Chorus of the generation of gay men lost to AIDS.
While the two increasingly dehydrated and sleep-deprived boys are locking lips, they become a focal point in the lives of other teen boys dealing with languishing long-term relationships, coming out, navigating gender identity, and falling deeper into the digital rabbit hole of gay hookup sites—all while the kissing former couple tries to figure out their own feelings for each other.
Review: I love this book. love the writing, the words are so deep and real. You can feel what these characters are going through or been through. Its just an Amazing book, I gave it 5 stars and If you love GLBT or is Gay, I HIGHLY recommend it.
Quotes (there are so many good ones)
- “Love is so painful, how could you ever wish it on anybody? And love is so essential, how could you ever stand in its way?”
- “Things are not magical because they've been conjured for us by some outside force. They are magical because we create them.”
- “Freedom isn't just about voting and marrying and kissing on the street, although all of these things are important. Freedom is also about what you will allow yourself to do.”
- “There are all these moments you don't think you will survive. And then you survive.”
- “It is hard to stop seeing your son as a son and to start seeing him as a human being.
It is hard to stop seeing your parents as parents and to start seeing them as human beings.
It's a two-sided transition, and very few people manage it gracefully.”
- “There is no reason that we should ever be ashamed of our bodies or ashamed of our love.”
- “Pink is female - but why? Are girls any more pink than boys? Are boys any more blue than girls? It's something that has been sold to us, mostly so other things can be sold to us.”
- “We know that some of you are still scared. We know that some of you are still silent. Just because it's better now doesn't mean that it's always good.”
- “Then he picks up the first book and holds it so Peter can read the title.
I Hadn’t Meant to Tell You This
Peter quiets. Watches as Neil holds up the books one by one.
You’re the One That I Want
So Much Closer
Where I Want to Be
The Difference Between You and Me
You Are Here
Where I Belong
I’ll Be There
Along for the Ride
The Future of Us
Real Live Boyfriends
Keep Holding On
When Neil is through, Peter smiles and holds up his hand, gesturing Neil to wait there, to not say a word. He picks out two books from the YA section, then runs to the fiction section for a third. He is still smiling when he returns to Neil and shows his selections one by one.
Take a Bow
A Blind Man Can See How Much I Love You
Keep Holding On”
(I love how he put the book titles into a poem message)
5 out of 5 stars